LIVONIA, Mich. - It’s no secret that Jack Roush knows how to make power out of engines. It’s also no secret that Valvoline knows how to make oil, the lifeblood of an engine. So it makes sense that these two giants in their respective fields would collaborate to create ROUSH® Motor Oil, the ultimate engine elixir for performance vehicles.
Roush Fenway Racing exclusively uses Valvoline oil in their stock cars because it is the best in the industry. But always the innovator and continually looking for ways to improve engine performance, Roush one day sat down with the Valvoline technicians and posed a simple question - "What can we do to improve the oil used in high-performance street engines?" The answer led to the development of ROUSH Motor Oil, a line of six new motor oils for performance vehicles old and new.
"Any brand of inexpensive motor oil might work fine for the average consumer, but owners of high performance vehicles are extremely proud of their car and are willing to do whatever is necessary to maximize their driving experience and take care of their investment," Roush said. "That includes demanding a premium motor oil to protect the engine, help get the most horsepower, as well as to enable the engine to run cooler. The technicians at Valvoline have helped me to create ROUSH Motor Oil, which I believe is the most advanced lubricant on the market today, and will become the motor oil of choice for those who claim that ‘good’ isn’t good enough for their car."
Inspired by the racetrack and formulated for the road, the ROUSH Motor Oil provides protection for both newer and older performance engines. Sold by the quart for a suggested retail of $8.99 each, the six blends are:
* SAE 5W-20: (API SM) Full synthetic engineered for extreme protection and superior performance. Advanced additive package for maximized horsepower, heat protection, and longer-lasting zinc/phosphorus anti-wear.
* SAE 5W-30: (API SM) Full synthetic engineered for extreme protection and superior performance. Advanced additive package for maximized horsepower, heat protection, and longer-lasting zinc/phosphorus anti-wear.
* SAE 5W-50: (API SM) Full synthetic engineered for extreme protection and superior performance. Advanced additive package for maximized horsepower, heat protection, and longer-lasting zinc/phosphorus anti-wear. The recommended oil for the ROUSH® P-51A™ Mustang.
* SAE 10W-30: (API SL) High zinc for classic high-performance engines, including protection for push-rod and flat tappet applications. Full synthetic engineered for extreme protection and superior performance. Advanced additive package for maximized horsepower, heat protection, and longer-lasting zinc/phosphorus anti-wear.
* SAE 10W-40: (API SL) High zinc for classic high-performance engines, including protection for push-rod and flat tappet applications. Full synthetic engineered for extreme protection and superior performance. Advanced additive package for maximized horsepower, heat protection, and longer-lasting zinc/phosphorus anti-wear.
* BREAK-IN OIL (SAE 40) High zinc, conventional formula specifically designed to break-in and dyno high performance engines. Requires no additional additives. Also applicable for use in racing applications.
Although the primary purpose of motor oil is to prevent engine heat and wear (by reducing friction of internal components), there are a number of other vital roles it accomplishes. This includes keeping the engine cool (not just a function of the radiator), protecting engine surfaces and suspending deposits, sludge, dust, dirt and other contaminants so they are removed when used oil is drained, and permitting easier start-up when the key is turned in the ignition. These functions, and others, are often accomplished though the use of additives which, when correctly balanced, are what differentiates a true, high-quality motor oil.
"There is a real science to correctly mixing oil additives and I really relied on the Valvoline technicians and their one hundred years of experience to help blend the ROUSH Motor Oil line. I could tell them something like ‘I want to try and make sure that we can get more horsepower’ and they would know what it takes to accomplish that based on what we are doing in the NASCAR garages. But, it also means that a compromise needed to be made in another additive area, and they did a magnificent job of optimizing the ROUSH Motor Oil blend to truly be the premium brand," Roush said.
Roush was also adamant that there be oils specially suited for both newer and older high-performance engines.
For all performance vehicles, Roush felt that a synthetic would be best. In synthetic motor oil, the molecule is completely uniform throughout - there are no variations in molecule size like in conventional oil. And taking a cue from his motorsports experience, Roush knew synthetic oil helps to cool engines better.
In racing, teams typically put tape over the radiator and other openings on the race car to help gain speed through improved aerodynamics, but this will cause less air to flow over the engine which results in higher temperatures under the hood. Roush Fenway Racing teams use synthetic Valvoline motor oil in all their stock cars because it helps to cool the engine in addition to the radiator. Synthetic ROUSH Motor Oil is offered in five weights: 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-50, 10W-30 and 10W-40.
However, older engines, and especially flat tappet or push-rod types, require high levels of zinc/phosphorous for added protection. Valvoline increased the level of zinc for the 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades, and in every grade used a special low-volatility zinc which helps to maintain higher levels of phosphorous in the oil instead of blowing it out through the catalyst.
The last item that Roush specified was to create an engine Break-In Oil. This conventional SAE 40 weight motor oil has an extremely high zinc and low detergent levels and is designed for dyno or engine break-in uses. There are no additional additives needed when using the ROUSH Break-In oil, which can also be used in racing applications when oil is changed more frequently than in a typical street vehicle.
All six ROUSH Motor Oil blends are available now through select retailers. For more information, or to find your nearest ROUSH Motor Oil dealer, visit .
Based in Livonia, Mich., "The Art of Performance Engineering" takes place at ROUSH Performance. To get a look behind the scenes at what goes on at ROUSH and how the vehicles and parts are designed, manufactured, tested and produced logon to . In addition to the array of Ford Mustang and F-150 styling, handling and performance upgrades, a complete line of performance parts and crate engines are offered. For more information see your local ROUSH dealer, visit or telephone toll-free (800) 59-ROUSH.
Valvoline, a division of Ashland Inc. (NYSE: ASH), has been serving American motorists longer than any other motor oil marketer and is a leading innovator and supplier of quality, high-performing automotive and industrial products in more than 100 countries. Best known for its lubricants, Valvoline also markets Eagle One® appearance products, Car Brite® car restoration products, Zerex® antifreeze, SynPower® performance products, Pyroil® automotive chemicals and MaxLife® products created for higher-mileage engines. Valvoline also has a stake in the quick-lube market with its Valvoline Instant Oil Change® unit.
*"ROUSH&quo; is the registered trademark of ROUSH Performance Products, Inc., or its related entities.